Gabriel’s Sword continues to progress at a much faster rate than I anticipated. I set a goal of 30,000 words for this novella and a goal date of July 31, 2021. I don’t believe I’ll have any problem meeting both goals. It’s only the 13th of the month and I’m already nearing 20,000 words. I have yet to go back and build out my characters and had substance to the scenes. So far, I’ve been focused on the plot and keeping the storyline moving forward. I have to admit I’m having fun doing this. I also have to admit that I need better day planning skills because once I sit down to write, I tend to forget about everything else I need to accomplish during the day.
Speaking of character development and scene substance, I need to find a comfortable break in the plot or I need to bring the plot to fruition and begin to focus on making my characters relatable. I’ve got some ideas on how best to do this, but before I get started in earnest, I want to defer to the experts and see how they did it best. As for scene substance, I think it’s important for my readers to understand where a scene is taking place and how that scene fits in the overall story, but I’m no sure how important that is in this specific story. Time will tell.